http://breakfastandbible.blogspot.com/

Saints Alive

A forum for the exchange of opinions and information about the life of St. Joseph Ctholic Church in Plain City, Ohio.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Religious Education Options

In the past it was easy to schedule CCD classes. Today there are many conflicts and no one time is good for all. I have asked the Religious Education Committee to look at alternative choices.
1. We will always offer a structured CCD program. The majority of families will choose this method of providing for their children.
2. We will continue to encourage and support home study programs. They are flexible and can fit into a family's busy schedule. Accountability is the concern. It must be scheduled weekly or nothing will get done.
3. Not all home study program are single family programs. Some families have found Neighborhood clusters of 3-5 families have offered a great alternative.
4. There are Internet options available. Our text book series offers a website with on line resources for each grade level. Cathechism.com offers a comprehensive program. I have asked out technology committee to explore what we can do on line.
5. Special events and retreats offer opportunities. For example: Pre-school to Grade 1 might meet one Saturday morning a month, 9-12 for Sacred Heart Kid's Club, an interactive program with guest "saints", videos, crafts, songs, etc.

The task of Religious education can be accomplished in a variety of ways. I hope to promote everything that will benefit our youth.

4 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father, you have some ideas here that are just incredible! I love that religious education is something that can be more flexible and more integrated into a family's life, and that the parish will be providing resources to support that.

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that there will be other alternatives. I know of so many people who have opted to go to neighboring parishes just because they cannot make the times currently offered. I have seriously been pondering the same thing as well. But now that there will be more options, I am open and very anxious to hear what options will be offered.

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that the structured CCD classes still will work out best for my family. I would totally stink at home schooling. I struggle to even get my daughter to do homework from regular school. I can't imagine trying to get her to do religious education study by myself. I do my best teaching my children about God at home, but as far as structured study goes, I'll still choose CCD. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Religious Education Committee comes up with as far as a schedule. Keep us posted. Thank you.

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that, Elizabeth! I whole heartedly agree. I couldn't have put it more eloquently clearer than that! Yoohoo!!!! This is one parent who understands the big picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home